Sunday, December 7, 2008

Winter Blues

In fourteen days the winter solstice will bring the beginning of the lengthening of daylight hours, This time of year, I find myself actually counting the days, and computing the extra minutes of daylight in store in four weeks, six weeks, and on to spring. There is a kind of beauty in this season. The bare trees, stark landscapes. It is especially pretty when the sun is shining, even if it is only for a few hours. But, I am fully aware of my energy level and moods being light dependent, a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder, I suppose. I am sluggish, mildly depressed, unable or unwilling to start new projects, to get off my butt and exercise, or to clean house (although that is a year round problem). I am longing for the warmth of summer sun, and am mildly surprised each day when I step outside into cold air.... it doesn't feel normal. I am going through the hundreds of photos we took all summer and fall, cropping, deleting, or tagging. and pulling all the light I can out of the memories there. I tell myself that I wouldn't enjoy the summer as much if I didn't walk through this valley of winter blues each year. There are moments of brightness this time of year; the wonderful Christmas displays downtown, Holiday visits with family and friends, the eagles out on the lake, eggnog, and, of course, chocolate covered cherries. So, life is still grand, in spite of the long dark nights, and I have much to be grateful for. And in two weeks time, the axis of the earth will again turn just for me, and I will instantly shed my Winter Blues.

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

OK, bloody snap out of it.....

x