Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cowgirls

This is one of my favorite photos of the cowgirls of the early 1900's. I have long had a fascination for the lives , their stories , and their strength. Sometimes I wish had been there myself. I would have ridden some of those rank broncs!! My favorite of these women is Prairie Rose Henderson (2nd from the Right). She was a bit different, a bit of a rebel, and my maiden name is Henderson. As a child, I wore cowboy boots with all the little dresses my Grandmother made for me, and wanted a horse in the worst way. Living in the middle of Buffalo, New York, that was pretty impossible. But, I dreamed of being a Cowgirl. It took a long, and very winding road, and many hills and valleys; but here I am. No, I'm not a bronc rider, although I've had a horse or two that tried to make me one, and I'm not on some 1,000 acre self-sufficient spread, raising cattle or corn, but I am still wearing cowboy boots, have a broad brim palm hat just like Prairie Rose, sit a pretty good mule, have done a little team penning, throw hay and muck stalls, mend a fence, drive a tractor, and can say for sure that I am living my childhood dreams. It doesn't get better than this. Yee-Haw!!!

1 comment:

MarmiteToasty said...

I would of loved to have lived back in those times...... sigh....

x