Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Emailed the White House


I sent the President an Email this morning to apply for the job that Nancy Killefer has declined. As I read about her and the position, I thought " I can do that!" Efficiency Officer is pretty much my job description here at home. I manage to squeeze 26 hours into 24, shop for deals, cook from scratch, turn off lights in empty rooms, turn down the thermostat and put sweaters on the kids, reuse, recycle, repair, and most importantly, resist. Resist the seduction of wishes and wants, and upgrades and super-sizes. I like the idea of make-do, make-over, do without. I like simple, it's efficient. I wrote to President Obama with tongue in cheek, but the more I think about it, he could really benefit from the life experiences and expertise of those of us who have had to live with the constraints we wish our government would adopt.


Here is my email:
Mr. President;

In light of Ms Killefer's withdrawal from consideration as the Efficiency Officer, I would like to apply for the position. I feel I am qualified since I have managed a household of twenty children (most special needs) as well as a career for over forty years. I AM very efficient; I live within a budget, know how to cut corners without cutting quality, and am current on all my taxes. I think there are many, like me, who would have good ideas that would help our great nation. Use us. Thank you.

No comments: